COASTAL DIVISION THIRTEEN SWIFTGRAM

SWIFTGRAM 1-69

        This "SWIFTGRAM" is designed to keep the families and friends of Coastal Division THIRTEEN apprised of the happenings within the division. It will be published at periodic intervals and will be available to each man to send home.

        Although nineteen sixty-nine is still new, Coastal Division THIRTEEN has already established an enviable reputation for the new year, and at its present pace, will soon become unbeatable.

        As you may realize, operational committments have been keeping the boats in the division on patrol approximately 60% of the time, with the remaining 40% in-port time being taken up by boat maintenance, duty, and crew rest. The schedule is arduous, but the crews are more than holding their own.

        Coastal Division THIRTEEN is presently the largest Swift Boat Division in Vietnam. Besides our regular ocean and river patrols, for the past five months we have actively been participating in Operation Sea Lords, a series of highly successful raids into Viet Cong controlled waterways in the Mekong Delta. These raids have inflicted heavy casualties and considerable damage on the enemy, and though several boats have been damaged, the spirit and enthusiasm of the division remains high.

        In spite of our busy schedule, personnel in the divisionhave found time to study for advancement exams, and to enjoy an occasional beach party.

        Recently, the following men were advanced in rate:

NAME RATE TO WHICH ADVANCED
Donald F. ROBINSON SKC
Arthur L. HENRICHS BM3
Harry J. CHURCH GMG2
Michael HOWARD GMG3
Richard M. MADISON GMG3
Myron M. MILLIGAN GMG3
James H. ARNOLD RD1
Steven M. LYST RD3
Guy D. DORSEY RD3
James R. HOFFMAN RD3
Robert L. TINSLEY RD3
Robert P. Williams RD3
Stuart R. Albertson EN1
Michael O. KING EN1

       While the crews were working on the boats, some of the officers left the Officer's Club long enough to notice that they had been promoted also. The following Officers-in-Charge have recently been promoted to Lieutenant:

Lieutenant Jerry E. MENIKHEIM
Lieutenant O. Keith EVANS

       The crews lucky enough not to be on patrol on certain Sunday afternoons enjoyed beach parties. with lots of beer, bar-b-qued steaks and chicken, good times were had by all. The main event of each party was a football game between the officers and enlisted men. Although they played hard, the enlisted men couldn't quite match the talents of their officers, and went down to defeat on several occasions. However, it always turned out to be an even match in the beer-drinking category. As an item of interest;during the recent basketball game the enlisted men lead the officers 50-48 at half time - it ended that way as the officers were unable to continue in the torrid Vietnam heat.

        On other occasions the officers and men joined forces and represented Coastal Division THIRTEEN in the Cat Lo Naval Base football and basketball tournaments. The "Swifts" came out in first in football, and lost a well-played game in basketball to wind up in second place.

        Due to the tempo of operations in Operation Sea Lords, the increased demands upon each crew has brought forth acts of courage and heroism which cannot go unobserved.

        As a result of these highly dangerous river incursions the following awards have been recommended for our men:

Navy Cross 1
Silver Star 1
Bronze Star 26
Navy Commendation Medal 20
Purple Heart 16

        On 22 February General Abrams and Vice Admiral Zumwalt took time from their busy schedules to talk to and commend the division for the job it is doing.

        The present pace of operations will continue for quite a while. Towards the end of March the monsoon seas will be abating, and the tempo of operations will increase with more patrol stations to be manned.

        The crews will be busier than ever, and although the time passes quickly, all look forward anxiously to the day when they will return home.

        Until our next SWIFTGRAM, I would like to wish all of you a very successful 1970.

 

J.W. Streuli                         

J. W. STREULI                                             
LCDR     U.S. Navy                                       
Commander Coastal Division 13                      

 

Return to the Family Lines

This page was last updated on: January 01, 2014 at 01:46 PM